(301) 934-9521 Sanders@ELSanders.com

Personal Auto Insurance

Accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. When they happen, it is important to be prepared by having the right level of auto insurance coverage in place.  


Maryland’s minimum auto liability limits are $30,000 per person, $60,000 per accident for bodily injury and $15,000 per accident for property damage. Virginia’s minimum limits are $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident and $20,000 property damage. Unless each state’s minimum limits are specifically requested, we will offer a quote with higher limits that are better suited to financially protect you. Please be aware when comparing quotes from our competitors.

 Liability coverages include the following:

Bodily Injury Liability – insures against injury that you may cause to other persons. The key is that it involves you being held financially responsible for injuries to other persons because of your driving, your ownership or other use of your vehicle.

Property-Damage Liability – handles damage that you may cause to another person’s property. Again, the coverage only responds when you are financially responsible for such damage, and it has to be related to your use or ownership of a vehicle.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage – This coverage typically pays for injury you suffer from an accident caused by a person who has no insurance, a person who can’t be located (“hit and run drivers”), or a person who has insurance but their insurance company is insolvent.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage – Similar to uninsured motorist, it pays for injuries caused by a driver who is inadequately insured. 
Example: You are seriously injured by someone carrying a bodily injury limit of $25,000, but your injuries are nearly $50,000. Your Underinsured Motorist Coverage limit is $100,000. In this instance, your policy would pay the difference between $25,000 and $50,000.

Cars are expensive to buy and repair, providing great reasons for protecting them. If you borrowed money to buy your car, or if you leased the vehicle, the lender or leasing company was likely to make certain that you had coverage to pay for any damage to the vehicle. Below are typical coverages that apply either to the vehicle or to those operating the vehicle:

Collision coverage – This covers damage to your own vehicle that happens when your vehicle runs into another object, such as other vehicles, trees, light poles, mountains, etc.

Comprehensive coverage – This also covers damage to your own vehicle that is due to sources such as fire, theft, hitting an animal, vandalism, earthquake, flood or hail.

Collision and Comprehensive – coverages are subject to deductibles (the amount a policyowner must pay). They eliminate the need for an insurer having to pay for minor losses.

Personal Injury Protection or Medical Expense – This coverage typically handles medical expenses for injuries to you, your passengers or people who are “around” you. It may also cover you and your household if you, as a pedestrian or a bicyclist, are struck by an automobile.

Towing and Labor coverage – This coverage is to help pay for your costs to deal with a disabled car. It could help pay for the vehicle to be towed to a service station or for any repair that occurs at the location of the car’s breakdown. Note that this coverage is for labor rather than the costs of car parts.

Rental Reimbursement – This coverage reimburses your expense of renting a car as a temporary replacement. The car being replaced must be an insured vehicle that’s unavailable for use because of it being damaged, lost (stolen) or destroyed in a covered loss.

Keep in mind, this is merely an introduction to complex policy coverages. It’s always wise to contact your agent and discuss your coverage questions and needs in detail.